Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Dogs' Old House

The sink and the faucet have arrived & are in working order- But not yet installed. Our friend, who is also our handyman, plumber, gardener, etc.(Names rhymes with Ryan) has been laid up with an injured back. I empathize...totally. And since the temporary system isn't so bad- I am just gonna wait until Ryan feels up to doing it. Scott gave me that rose bush years ago for an anniversary. - The roses are awesome- bloom colors differ from bloom to bloom and year to year. I am especially grateful for the beautious blooms, because this rose bush almost didn't make it.

Once upon a time, I ordered a 325 lb air conditioned dog house from a guy in Montana- Then had it shipped to Scott's work. Ryan and a buddy were faced with the challenge of delivering the dog house to my place. They loaded the thing on a boat trailer and hauled it to the house. The problem was getting it into the backyard. They debated driving through the conservation easement- but the ground is swampy soft there and the truck would have gotten stuck. So, they pulled the truck, trailer, and doghouse between my house and my neighbor's place.

After the doghouse was unloaded, I went to inspect the side yard for any damage. One of the neighbor's trees had lost a small branch. The bark lining around some beds needed to be placed back properly- but no real long standing damage to sprinklers or plants.-- Nevertheless, my neighbor was ....angry. Red faced, yelling, sputtering....mad. She even insulted the aesthetics of the doghouse.

I really couldn't understand it- because Ryan had been trying so hard to stay on my side of the property line, it was my anniversary rose bush that had been pummeled and split into two.

Scott encouraged me apologize to our neighbor. At first, the petty side of me rehearsed my apology as, " I am sorry that your yard is fine and my anniversary bush is damaged." " I am sorry that my dogs are getting an air conditioned place to call their own." Eventually, I settled on apologizing for not getting her permission prior to straddling the property line.


I then trimmed back my rose bush to a small trunk stub.
& fertilized it. & spoke lovingly to it. The bush is doing beautifully.
The sad thing is now, because of the newer fence, the dogs can't even get to the dog house.
Which is good. Because Cliffy Maxwell has dug up the electrical line for the AC- So they would probably have a heat stroke if they spent anytime time in it.



We try to keep it camoed with netting and plants....

No comments: